To schedule an appointment, call us between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday.
We prefer that you NOT call on Wednesdays to make an appointment.
- Our local # is 701-298-9999
- Our toll-free # is 1-888-928-9009
- Our fax # is 701-235-8084
What do I need to do before I call?
- Verify you are pregnant by taking a home pregnancy test before calling us.
- Know the first day of your most recent menstrual period - appointments are scheduled based on this date.
- The woman needing the abortion needs to call and make the appointment herself. We are happy to answer questions for any friend/family member.
- We can usually see you within about a week of when you call us.
- Plan to be on the phone with us for about 10 minutes to make the appointment.
What do I need to do/bring to be ready for my appointment?
- Your fee needs to be paid in either cash, credit/debit card or a combination of cash and credit/debit card.
- You can expect to be at our clinic for about 4 to 5 hours.
- If you are 12 weeks or more your appointment may be longer - please plan for about a 6 hour appointment.
- Please dress comfortably and eat normally the day of your appointment - there are no food restrictions.
- When you arrive you will fill out forms (medical history, ultrasound consent, informed consent, etc).
- You will then have an ultrasound and some blood drawn from your arm. We test your blood type and get a hemoglobin level.
- You will meet with one-on-one with a Patient Advocate to have your questions answered. She will also explain how each method of abortion is performed and give you Home Care instructions.
- You will then meet with the doctor and have either the in-clinic suction abortion or swallow the first pill for a medication abortion.
- If you have an in-clinic suction abortion, expect to be in our recovery room for about 15-30 minutes, depending on how you are feeling.
Everyone entering the facility must have a photo ID (like a license, passport, military ID or tribal ID card). Each patient may bring one friend to the clinic with them. If you bring someone with you, they will wait in the waiting room - they will not be with you during the abortion. One of our support staff will be with you during the abortion.
Red River Women's Clinic offers mild sedation for our suction abortion patients. This sedation is OPTIONAL. Many women tolerate the abortion procedure well without these additional medications. There are NO extra costs to have mild sedation. If you choose this option - you MUST have a driver physically present and verified by a staff member in order to be given the medications. Please click here to read more about the suction abortion and mild sedation options and requirements.
Special Requirements of the North Dakota Law
- 24-Hour Consent: ND law requires that each patient be told information regarding the name of the doctor performing the abortion, possible risks and complications, how far along she will be, and that Medical Assistance and child support may be available to her if she were to continue the pregnancy. She is also given state printed informational booklets.
- Parental Consent/Judicial Bypass: An unmarried minor under the age of 18 must do one of the following:
(a) She must have her legal parents notified by us, by certified mail, of her appointment before her abortion. We must also obtain the consent of her custodial parent(s)
(b) She may get a judicial bypass from a judge permitting her to have the abortion without her parents knowing and/or consenting. The staff at our clinic are able to assist minors with this process which does not cost anything to complete.
“This is the best experience I’ve had at a medical facility.”
- Red River Women's Clinic Patient